Swimming Pool Sanitation has two main thrusts. Filtration by barrier methods such as sand and cartridge filtration. This mechanical method is known as consecutive dilution. Removing organic material by backwash. Alongside dilution the main methods of swimming pool disinfection are listed below.
- The standard chemical chlorine in liquid, tablet and granular forms.
- Salt chlorination by salt dissolved in the pool water. Then split with electrolysis. The salt is split into its 2 component parts Sodium and Chlorine gas that is dissolved in the water.
- Bromine and oxygen additives again in liquid, tablet and granular forms.
- A not very will know system is Copper ion. Bars of copper activated with a low voltage current passed through them. Ions are then released into the water to kill bacteria. Silver and zinc can also be added to the bars.
- Becoming more popular is sanitation by UV light killing and preventing bacteria and pathogen growth.
More on Swimming Pool Sanitation
Good Housekeeping, Swimming Pool Disinfection:-
PH control, total alkalinity and calcium hardness all contribute to good water chemistry. The general cleanliness of pool surfaces make a big difference. Swimmer hygiene also has a massive impact.